Friday, January 28, 2011

Lost Letter Dear Mama

Dear mama,
Trevor went out to the farm today and he was mad. I mean real angry. He cursed the president, the federal government and even God. Can you imagine that? I ain’t never heard nobody curse God before. For a bit I was scared to stand next to him but then I figured God’s probably got a pretty good aim if he wants to.
The barn was gone of course as was the house, well except for the cellar. I told Trevor that at least we still got the cellar, you know, trying to look on the bright side of things. But he said the cellar weren’t nothing but a hole in the ground and a hole is the absence of something, it was worse than nothing. I told him that maybe we could build the new house next to the old one and use the hole as a swimming pool, but he just glared at me and said there wasn’t gonna be a new house.
Most of the corn is gone too, squashed flat. The ground’s been packed tight as cement. It’s gonna take a lot of work to make anything grow here for a while. Out near the end of the step we found his haulin’ truck, where he left it only it was smashed all to bits. Flat as a pancake. I was gonna make a joke about a toe truck, but seein’ how mad he was I just kept quiet.
Anyway it looks like we’re gonna be moving. Donna and Carl said we could stay with them for awhile until we get back on our feet, then we may head up your way. Trevor said he’ll be good God damned if he’s gonna stay in a state with giants, government grants or no government grants.
Anyway take care and write soon.
-Louisa

No comments:

Post a Comment